Bold, Colourful Design for your Home
About Sarah Waterhouse
Sarah Waterhouse is an environmentally conscious design and printing company.
The company was established in 2007 and is run by Sarah Waterhouse, who designs and prints every piece of fabric by hand from her studio at Yorkshire Artspace in Sheffield, England.
Sarah has been hand printing fabrics for 11 years and strongly believes that the Craft of hand printing is one that shouldn’t be lost in the primarily mechanised world of screen printing. Sarah’s passion and knowledge of environmentally friendly fabrics and printing techniques has led to a number of teaching opportunities within her field.
Sarah prints on a range of eco-friendly and sustainable fabrics and will be launching her wallpaper collection shortly. She also offers a bespoke colour matching and bespoke fabric printing service.
Selected Exhibitions & Events
21st September 2014, British Interior Textiles Association Showcase
Chelsea Harbour Hotel, Chelsea Harbour Dr, Fulham, London SW10 0XG
13th-21st Sept 2014, Thorns Footstool, MADE NORTH Platform, London Design Week
David Mellor, 4 Sloane Square, London, SW1W 8EE
8-12th October 2015, The Great Northern Contemporary Craft Fair
Old Granada Studios, Manchester, Quay St, Manchester M3 3JE
25th June – 3rd Sept 2016, Printed fabrics and Design for the Sheila Bownas Archive
Sheila Bownas: A life in Pictures, Rugby Art Gallery & Museum, Little Elborow Street,Rugby, CV21 3BZ
6th July 2016 – 8th Jan 2017, Pods Chair and Thorns Foot Cushion
Made in Sheffield Exhibition, Millennium Galleries, Sheffield, S1 2PP
Sarah Waterhouse has a strong environmental and ethical policy which is at the core of the business. Every element of production aims to reduce our impact on the planet. We use only high quality materials to create a product that has been made to last.
How we reduce our impact on the planet
- We have always chosen to print only on environmentally friendly fabrics such as hemp and organic cotton.
- The inks we use are certified organic by the Soil Association.
- Our coloured base cloths are dyed using low impact, formaldehyde-free and azo-free dyes
- Our British woven base cloth fabric is woven to our specification by a mill in nearby Lancashire. The fabric is then finished locally to avoid unnecessary transportation.
- Our base cloth fabrics are sourced from suppliers in Europe or China and come with organic certification. We order months in advance so that the fabrics can ship by boat, air freight is avoided to reduce the environmental impact.
- Our suppliers for all other materials and services are sourced as close to Sheffield as possible with many of them within Yorkshire and Derbyshire.
- All of our packaging is biodegradable and when shipping larger orders, we re-use packaging wherever possible.
- Our business cards and paper and all made from recycled card and nothing goes to waste in our studio.